Personal reimbursement requirements
Welcome to Personal reimbursement requirements
- Personal reimbursements are exempt from eVA and SWAM requirements.
- The person being reimbursed must be the person who made payment.
- All applicable university procurement regulations must be followed and appropriate approvals attached (for furniture, etc.)
- Original receipts must be attached, no photocopies.
- All receipts, including restaurant receipts, must be dated and itemized to show what was purchased — a credit card receipt is not acceptable unless it also shows an itemization. The itemization total must match the total paid.
- Receipts must show a zero balance or note the method of payment applied. A receipt with a balance and no information of any kind of payment isn’t sufficient.
- If paid by check, a copy of the front and back of the canceled check needs to be attached. This can be an online print-out of the check image from the bank. Personal information can be blacked out on check copies.
- Whenever possible, do not mix personal purchases with business purchases. If a receipt includes personal purchases, lightly cross out or otherwise note personal purchases. Do not use highlighter or tape on receipts — it fades the printing.
- For all meals, a list of invitees/attendees must be attached and the business purpose must be specified.
- A completed business meal calculator is required to be submitted with all reimbursement for business meals.
- Appropriate approvals should be obtained before the expense is made. This includes meals that exceed 150 percent of the per diem rate, and meals and/or travel to be paid on a 1-ledger account.
Acceptable documentation for meal reimbursements:
- Meal paid by cash – dated, itemized receipt showing cash payment made plus list of attendees plus business purpose
- Meal paid by credit card – dated, itemized receipt showing credit card payment plus list of attendees plus business purpose or dated, itemized receipt plus separate credit card receipt with matching totals plus list of attendees plus business purpose or dated, itemized receipt plus credit card statement showing matching payment to vendor (personal information can be blacked out on credit card statements) plus list of attendees plus business purpose
- Meal paid by check – dated, itemized receipt plus copy of front and back of canceled check plus list of attendees plus business purpose