Welcome to Resources
- The Doctor is Online: Physician Use, Responsibility, and Opportunity in the Time of Social Media by the Mayo Clinic Social
Media Health Network (6:34/June 2011)
- Authorship Guidelines 5_15 [PDF]
- Center for Ethics and Professionalism, American College of Physicians
- Virtual Mentor, Ethics Journal of the American Medical Association
Articles on Professionalism
Some of the following articles require subscriptions. Wherever possible, these are provided freely to the VCU community via the VCU Libraries’ proxy server. Visitors from outside VCU may need to check for local availability.
- Doctor dozed during surgery, report says. The Boston Globe. March 25, 2009.
- When young doctors strut too much of their stuff. New York Times. 2006 Nov 21.
- Does Laughter Make Good Medicine? New England Journal of Medicine. 2006 Mar 16;354(11):1114-1115.
- Judging a book by its cover: descriptive survey of patients’ preferences for doctors’ appearance and mode of address. BMJ 2005 Dec 24;331:1524-1527.
- Disciplinary Action by Medical Boards and Prior Behavior in Medical School. New England Journal of Medicine. 2005 Dec 22;353:2673-2682.
- Teaching doctors to be nicer: New acreditation rules spur medical schools to beef up interpersonal-skills training. Wall Street Journal Online. 2005, Sept 28; Sect. D:1.
- Naked. New England Journal of Medicine. 2005 Aug 18;353:645-648.
- One in three scientists confesses to having sinned. Nature. 2005 Jun 9;435:718-719.
- Unprofessional Behavior in Medical School Is Associated with Subsequent Disciplinary Action by a State Medical Board. Academic Medicine. 2004;79: 244-9.
- The Impact of United States Law on Medicine as a Profession. JAMA. 2003 Mar 26;289(12)1546-1556.
- Issues in Medical Ethics: Understanding Professionalism and Its Implications for Medical Education. Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine. 2002 Nov;69(6). [Entire issue dedicated to medical ethics.]
- The “Good Person” Sign. Dempsey TM, JAMA, 2015 Aug 25;314(8):773. doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.4890.
- Caught in the Middle: A Resident Perspective on Influences From the Learning Environment That Perpetuate Mistreatment. Bynum, BE, Lindeman, B. Academic Medicine (commentary), Dec 29 2015 epub; PMID: 26717506.
- Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals Dec 2014 http://www.icmje.org/icmje-recommendations.pdf.
- Social Media and Professionalism in the Medical Community (ACOG)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N8A5LMlego
- The Physician Payment Sunshine Act Testing the Value of Transparency. Santhakumar S, Adashi EY. JAMA. 2015 Jan 6;313(1):23-4. doi: 10.1001/jama.2014.15472
Professional Email Communication Among Health Care Providers: Proposing Evidence-Based Guidelines,Malka ST, Kessler CS, Abraham J, Emmet TW, Wilbur L. Acad Med. 2015 Jan;90(1):25-9. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000465. PMID: 25162617
- Frequency and Negative Impact of Medical Student Mistreatment Based on Specialty Choice: A Longitudinal Study. Oser TK, Haidet P, Lewis PR, Mauger DT, Gingrich DL, Leong SL. Acad Med. 2014 May;89(5):755-61. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000207.
- Learning About Medical Student Mistreatment From Responses to the Medical School Graduation Questionnaire. Mavis B, Sousa A, Lipscomb W, Rappley MD. Acad Med. 2014 May;89(5):705-11. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000199.
- Harassment and Discrimination in Medical Training: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Fnais N, Soobiah C, Chen MH, Lillie E, Perrier L, Tashkhandi M, Straus SE, Mamdani M, Al-Omran M, Tricco AC. Acad Med. 2014 May;89(5):817-27. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000200.
- The Prevalence of Medical Student Mistreatment and Its Association with Burnout. Cook AF, Arora VM, Rasinski KA, Curlin FA, Yoon JD. Acad Med. 2014 May;89(5):749-54. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000204.
- Unprofessional Behavior by Specialty: A Qualitative Analysis of Six Years of Student Perceptions of Medical School Faculty. Roberts NK, Dorsey JK, Wold B. Med Teach. 2014 Jul;36(7):621-5. doi: 10.3109/0142159X.2014.899690. Epub 2014 May 2.
- Nonclinical Use of Online Social Networking Sites: new and Old Challenges to Medical Professionalism. Thompson LA, Black EW. J Clin Ethics. 2011 Summer;22(2):179-82.
- Assessment of professionalism: Recommendations from the Ottawa 2010 Conference. Hodges BD, Ginsburg S, Cruess R, Cruess S, Delport R, Hafferty F, Ho MJ, Holmboe E, Holtman M, Ohbu S, Rees C, Ten Cate O, Tsugawa Y, Van Mook W,Wass V, Wilkinson T, Wade W. Med Teach. 2011;33(5):354-63. doi: 10.3109/0142159X.2011.577300.
- A behavioral and systems view of professionalism. Lesser CS, Lucey CR, Egener B, Braddock CH 3rd, Linas SL, Levinson W.JAMA. 2010 Dec 22;304(24):2732-7.
- Promoting Professional Behaviour in Undergraduate Medical, Dental, and Veterinary Curricula in the Netherlands: Evaluation of a Joint Effort. van Luijk SJ, Gorter RC, van Mook W.N.K.A. Med Teach. 2010;32(9):733-9. doi: 10.3109/0142159X.2010.505972.
- Professionalism is a Generic Term: Practicing What We Preach. Cruess, RL, Cruess, SR, Med Teach. 2010;32(9):713-4. doi: 10.3109/0142159X.2010.505971.
- Professionalism and Mental Health [PPT] Cheryl Al-Mateen, M.D.
- Is Our Professionalism All it Should Be? [PPT] Walter Lawrence, M.D.
- ACGME Milestones
- Resident Orientation Manual 2015-2016 [PDF], McGuire Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Free version of Real Playeris required for viewing video content provided below.
- Prescribing Do's and Don'ts from the Virginia Board of Medicine - Jennifer L. Deschenes, J.D., M.S., Virginia Board of Medicine [Video]
- Science of Patient Safety - Ron Clark, M.D. [Video]
- White Coat Ceremony (old)
- School of Medicine Student Handbook
- Student Rights and Responsibilities and Mistreatment Prevention Policy
- Dress code
Evaluation of students