Standards and Policies
Welcome to Standards and Policies
This section includes expected standards for behavior, attire, lifelong learning, confidentiality and humanism or sensitivity, together with guidelines of when to offer help or seek help. Listed below are additional standards and policies.
Key Standards and Policies
- Student Rights & Responsibilities and Mistreatment Prevention Policy provides VCU policy excerpts collected by the Office of Student Affairs.
- Medical Staff Standards of Conduct Policy, VCU Health System [PDF]
- General Competencies for Housestaff, ACGME
- Resident Orientation Manual 2015-2016 [PDF], McGuire Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Requirements for Professional Attire
Related Policies at VCU and VCUHS
Professional behavior is supported by policies that can be consulted when problems are perceived.
- VCU Resource Guide delineates policies that govern many aspects of campus life and help define student rights and responsibilities.
- VCU Office of Equity and Access Services provides information on policies pertaining to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action, discrimination, and sexual harassment.
- VCU Alcohol and Drug Policy [PDF] details the restrictions on use and distribution of alcohol and drugs on VCU premises, as well as enforcement for all VCU affiliates.
- VCUHS Managers’ Guide for Reasonable Suspicion of Drug and/or Alcohol Use at Work [PDF] provides detailed procedures, resources, and a guideline for recognizing impairment.
- VCUHS Policy 5301.01 [PDF] and its cover memo [PDF] delineate the prohibition of unlawful weapons and substances in the workplace.
- VCU Policy on Employee-Student Consensual Relationships [PDF] establishes guidelines on types of prohibited relationships in order to maintain a safe environment conducive to learning. VCUHS has a adopted a similar Policy on Employee-Student Consensual Relationships for Graduate Medical Education [PDF].
- School of Medicine Professionalism Committee Report [PDF], September 2001