Welcome to WISDM
Annual Professional Achievement Award
Due date: Friday, March 3, 2017
The WISDM Professional Achievement Award is presented annually by the Women in Science, Dentistry, and Medicine (WISDM) Faculty Organization, VCU School of Medicine, MCV Campus. This unique award was established in 1993 to acknowledge the special contributions and accomplishments of women faculty in the School of Medicine. The primary purpose of this award is to recognize a woman who is a role model and mentor, promoting the professional development of other women faculty. Nominees should demonstrate excellence in the following areas:
- Success as a mentor and role model for women faculty
- Professional excellence: accomplished in their primary area of practice (clinical, basic sciences, etc.)
- Leadership: university administrative duties and other leadership roles
- Teaching expertise
School of Medicine
Nominations are solicited annually from all School of Medicine faculty members and should include a letter from the primary nominator, a CV, and no more than five (5) support letters from supervisors, faculty, trainees, and/or students addressing the five areas of excellence. Previous nominees can be renominated with an updated CV and no more than five (5) support letters, which may include old and/or new letters, from supervisors, faculty, trainees, and/or students addressing the five areas of excellence. The letters should be addressed to Dr. Tegwyn Brickhouse, WISDM President.
Submit nomination packets electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org thru Filelocker at http://www.ts.vcu.edu/askit/university-resources/vcu-filelocker/ (click on “Visit VCU Filelocker”). Any questions, contact Debbie Stewart, 828-6591, email@example.com
The award will be presented at the annual WISDM Leadership Conference, Friday, May 5, 2017, MCV Campus, and at the 2017 SOM Faculty Excellence Awards in the fall. Nominations are sought for SOM women faculty only.
School of Dentistry
The VCU School of Dentistry manages their WISDM Professional Achievement award process separately. For criteria and selection process contact: Meredith Bryk, firstname.lastname@example.org
All faculty members in the schools of medicine and dentistry are invited to submit nominations to their respective schools. The awardees will be notified in time to accept the award at the 25th Annual WISDM Leadership Conference on Friday, May 5, 2017.
Previous Professional Achievement Award Winners
School of Medicine
- 2016: Cheryl S. Al-Mateen, M.D., FAACAP, DFAPA [pdf]
- 2015: Amelia C. Grover, M.D. [pdf]
- 2015: Elizabeth "Betsy" Ripley, M.D., M.S. [pdf]
- 2014: Cathy Bradley, Ph.D., M.P.A. [pdf]
- 2014: PonJola Coney, M.D. [pdf]
- 2013: Suzanne Barbour, Ph.D. [pdf]
- 2012: Therese Duane, M.D. [pdf]
- 2011: Lenore Buckley, M.D., M.P.H. [pdf]
- 2010: Joann Bodurtha, M.D., M.P.H. [pdf]
- 2009: Mary Helen Hackney, M.D. [pdf]
- 2008: Ellen Brock, M.D. [pdf]
- 2007: Aradhana Bela Sood, M.D. [PDF] and Sarah Spiegel, Ph.D. [pdf]
- 2006: Wendy Klein, M.D.
- 2005: Ann S. Fulcher, M.D.
- 2004: Carol Hampton, M.M.S., and Mitzi Nagarkatti, Ph.D.
- 2003: Susan Kornstein, M.D.
- 2002: Sandra Welch, Ph.D.
- 2001: Michelle Whitehurst-Cook, M.D.
- 2000: Ruth Taylor Campbell, M.D.
- 1999: Joy Ware, Ph.D.
- 1998: Dawn Mueller, M.D.
- 1997: Louise Robertson, M.D.
- 1996: Mary Ann Turner, M.D.
- 1995: Surinder Kallar, M.D.
- 1994: Carolyn McCue, M.D.
- 1993: Susan Mellette, M.D.
School of Dentistry
- 2016: Laurie C. Carter, D.D.S., Ph.D., M.A. [pdf]
- 2015: Riki Gottlieb, D.M.D., M.S., F.A.G.D. [pdf]
- 2014: Michelle McGregor, R.D.H., B.S., M.Ed.
- 2013: Bhavna Shroff, D.D.S., M. Dent. Sc., M.P.A. [pdf]
- 2012: Sharon Lanning, D.D.S. [pdf]
- 2011: Tegwyn Brickhouse, D.D.S., Ph.D. [pdf]
- 2010: Carolyn Booker, Ph.D. [pdf]
- 2009: Kim Isringhausen, B.S.D.H., M.P.H.
- 2008: Ellen Byrne, D.D.S., Ph.D.
- 2007: Carole Pratt, D.D.S. [pdf]
- 2006: Kathryn "Kitt" S. Finley-Parker, D.D.S.
- 2005: Betsy Hagan, D.D.S.
- 2004: Carol N. Brooks, D.D.S.
- 2002: Anne Adams, D.D.S.
Congratulations to all our outstanding women faculty in the Schools of Medicine and Dentistry!