Welcome Class of 2026
The VCU School of Medicine welcomes the incoming class of unique and talented students to the MCV Campus.
In the Class of 2026, you’ll find …
- Three bakers, a home brewer and a horseback rider.
- A fire and rescue specialist who’s staffed fire engines, medic units and critical care trucks.
- Two surfers, a seamstress and dancers of salsa and swing.
- Half of an identical twin pair, a third of a set of triplets and one from a family of nine kids.
- An analog photographer, a doula, a notary public and a potter.
- Players of cricket, rugby and squash, along with a triathlete, a powerlifter, one competitive rifle shooter, two rock climbers and three black belts in taekwondo.
- Painters and a portraitist, plus an actress, a stand-up comedian and a Dungeon Master from Dungeons & Dragons.
- A singer-songwriter as well as musicians on the piano, cello, violin, clarinet and saxophone.
- Two Rubik’s Cube solvers, a holder of four passports, a speaker of six languages and a fan of Formula 1 racing.
On their way to medical school, they …
- Worked in restaurants, a blueberry lab and emergency rooms, for AmeriCorps, at orthopaedic clinics and with a marine animal rescue center.
- Taught art history, fifth grade science and indoor cycling.
- Served as a paramedic, a tissue recovery coordinator, a park ranger, a nuclear medicine technologist and a curator of private libraries.
- Collected postcards, houseplants and fridge magnets.
- Researched jaguars in Belize, classic movies, the involvement of microRNA in anti-inflammatory pathways and at the National Cancer Institute.
- Rescued a beagle named Lita and a cat stuck up a tree. Fostered over 50 animals. Adopted a chinchilla, two Holstein steer calves and a dingo named Scotch (accidentally).
- Swam with pink jellyfish in Palau, scuba dived off the island of Kauai and drank snake soup to beat food allergies (unsuccessfully).
- Rode a rollercoaster during an earthquake, sang for the Pope and put three stitches into their own face after being bit by a dog.
- Learned the didgeridoo, went to North Korea on a Boy Scout trip, got lost in the Colorado wilderness, slept in an igloo for seven days and saved a seal.
- Hit the road, with one student visiting 24 countries, another making it to 47 states and a third seeing nine national parks in the past year.
- Hiked Angel's Landing in Zion National Park – “the scariest hike in America” – and rafted down whitewater rapids. All before landing on the MCV Campus.
In four years …
- One may have golfed his third hole-in-one.
- Another might have beaten her two brothers in a race to earn the first doctorate of the family.
- And a third will be the first in their family embarking on a health care career.
In Pictures: The remarkable Class of 2026